|First Presbyterian Church|
|Sam Terry sent us this photo and writes:|
This is the oldest known image of First Presbyterian Church, Glasgow's oldest religious body, founded in 1802. The Presbyterians were the only religious group in Glasgow for several years and their original log church was the only house of worship in Glasgow for around 25 years. This building, the third built on this site, is on the original lot donated by Isaac Robertson, one of Glasgow's first lawyers. This structure dates to 1853 and is one of only two remaining Gothic Revival buildings in Barren County. During the Civil War the congregation was forced to vacate the building and worship temporarily in a building which stood where the telephone office is on West Washington Street because the Union forces in Glasgow took control of the church building and used it as a horse stable. Glasgow's first burying ground was located directly behind the church but was moved many years later to allow for building expansion. The large brick structure on the right of the photo was the county jail. This photo was made by Adolph Rapp and his identification of the photo reminds us that he was a German immigrant who spelled phonetically, thus the unusual spelling of Presbyterian.